A Brief History of NYCLB
The NYCLB was established under the authority of
Naval Station Struction 1710.9 dated 23 October 1967, for the
express purpose of encouraging Corinthian sailing and boating,
promoting safety, traditions, customs and competition in yachting
and to provide a competitive sailing identity through which members
could participate in local, state and nation competitive events.
As Port Services Officer, Naval Station Long Beach, LCDR John P. Larson, USN, originated and brought into being a sailing facility, a new form of recreation for the Navy in the Long Beach area. In the fall of 1967 LCDR Larson called a group of sailing enthusiasts to a meeting to organize the current Club. The By-Laws were approved on 8 November 1967 with an interim slate of officers elected: Commodore, Rear Admiral Ralph Weymouth; Vice Commodore, LCDR John P. Larson; and Rear Commodore, Captain Charles Gardner.
Mr. Robert M. Allan, Jr., a member of the Fales Committee, an organization of influential civilians devoted to acquiring boats and facilities to support Naval Sailing programs, supported the Clubs establishment.
The Naval Recreation Fund provided the initial equipment and facilities the Club used. Four Coronado 25’ and ten Coronado 15’ boats, a floating dock and a 16’ x 32’ trailer were enclosed with a chain-link fence. Commodore Driscoll in 1969 asked for a Navy Marina for private boats; Commodore Sernmens in 1970 was able to provide docks and fingers installed with 30 slips for boats donated. The Marina Club House provided heads and showers and a meeting room where a three-ton jib boom was installed in 1972.
The following excerpts of Club history provide a glimpse of the rich tradition and personal commitment of NYCLB members through the years.